Red Cross Bonaire is an overseas branch of the Netherlands Red Cross (Het Nederlandse Rode Kruis). It was founded in 1985 on the island Bonaire. Today the branch operates with 5 board members, 35 volunteers and 2 licensed first aid instructors. Like all other branches of National Red Cross or Red Crescent Societies , Bonaire Red Cross' operations is based on the 7 fundamental principles:
- Humanity = the desire to bring assistance without discrimination to the wounded on the battlefield, to prevent and alleviate human suffering wherever it may be found. To protect life and health and to ensure respect for the human being promoting mutual understanding, friendship, co-operation and lasting peace amongst all people.
- Impartiality = Making no discrimination as to nationality, race, religion, beliefs, class or political opinions
- Neutrality = Not taking sides in hostilities or engage in controversies of a political, racial, religious or ideological nature.
- Independence = Always maintaining autonomy, so that they may be able to act in accordance with the Red Cross principles.
- Voluntary service = Offering voluntary relief not prompted by desire for gain.
- Unity = Open to all! Carrying humanitarian work throughout its territory. One Red Cross society in any one country.
- Universality = All societies having equal status, sharing equal responsibilities and duties in helping each other worldwide.