Community based integrated risk management approach is mainstreamed into regular academic curriculum through a network of public schools in Jacmel, Haiti.
– Output 1: Tailored context sensitive IRM educational tools are implemented
– Output 2: Schools are able to provide shelter in the event of disasters
– Output 3: Community outreach on IRM’s relevance is led by schools’ network
• No specific education programme nationwide is implemented to include environmental education (EE) in public schools curricula. Initiatives to include DRR and EE in routine schools functioning are under agreement between the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Environment but concrete action and consolidated components or tools have yet to be defined.
• Landscape degradation in the south-eastern department increases vulnerability to soil erosion, drought, landslides and floods in the targeted areas.
Selected public schools in Jacmel, Haiti
– Environmental risk or natural resources management educational workplans to be implemented
– Educational entities in target areas will be participating actively in developing the new tools
– Schools personnel will be able to explain the main IRM concepts
– Selected schoos will serve as shelter in cases of disasters, for which infrastructure rehabilitation/upgrading and WASH facilities construction will take place
• The project will be implemented in the South Department more specifically in the town of Jacmel and in the township “La Vallée de Jacmel”.